After a beautiful sunrise for a start in Eilat, the almost 500KM tough terrain of the Negev hit Richard hard. These short videoclips give some idea of what Richard, his girlfriend and partner Vickie and the whole team went through in the first half of the run. For up to date information, visit our SOURCE Facebook Page.
Starting at sunrise in Eilat with almost twenty local runners, the spirits are high. Just before taking off, we had a quick chat with Richard.
The terrain of the desert didn’t manage to break Richard – but the camera already let after the first hours. Vickie had to retreat to mobile phone filming – here’s a short improvised interview with Richard at the end of day 2 and some beautiful pictures of day 1 & 2.
He is human after all… We see Richard fighting the terrain. The mean big blister shows up for the first time. The rock-climbing eats up most of Richard’s time. From Minute 2:00 on, we see him at the end of the day and we can begin to understand just what it means …
Richard is 200km into the project, running 13 hours on three days, getting frustrated by the rock climbing… And as if this wasn’t enough, the sandstorm turning into a rainstorm hits him …
Starting at KM 302 in the morning, day 4 shows truly amazing scenery and a suffering Richard Bowles. Putting up a tent at the end of the day, sleeping out in the desert.
A short but telling clip closes the first half of the INT Run. We see Richard having a hard time to bend down and pick something up from the ground … Still knocking off 60 km in 13 hours by the end of the day.
92 Kilometers in one day – more than half way through now! Vickie showing Richard’s feet by request from a fan. Just to give an idea what kind of a hero Richard is, and as a reality check «for everyone that wants to come and run the INT: it’s not glamourous..».
Was that it …?
600 kilometers covered, 10 days into the race, due to an infection in his left foot, Richard had to let go of the 12-days challenge. Watch this short documentary showing the incredible journey, the beautiful landscapes – and a devastated Richard Bowles in the end.
To be continued … Get the latest news of Richard Bowles’ INT Run on Facebook: Like our SOURCE Outdoor page and secure your chance in the draw to win Richard as your personal coach and a SOURCE Dune Hydration Pack!
Read more on Richard’s adventure:
- He did it …! – Richard Bowles finished the … (SOURCE Blog, May 9)
- What a comeback..! – Final stretch for … (SOURCE Blog, May 6)
- Back on trail – It’s not the end … (SOURCE Blog, April 30)
- Painful decision: Infected foot stops … (SOURCE Blog, April 27)
- Road & Field Test of Richard’s SOURCE DUNE … (SOURCE Blog, April 22)
- INT Run: Half-time coming up for ultra-runner … (SOURCE Blog, April 21)
- Off he goes! Richard Bowles is on his way (SOURCE Blog, April 17)
- Talking hydration with Richard Bowles (SOURCE Blog, April 4)
- Running 1,009KM in 12 days – Source supporting … (SOURCE Blog, March 21)
- Famed adventure runner to run entire length of INT (Israel Hayom, April 14)
- Aussie super-sprinter seeks record (JerusalemPost, April 9)