You can’t decide whether to buy a water bottle or a bladder for your hiking, biking, camping, climbing, beaching .. outdoor adventure? Here’s the main pros and cons for water bottles and hydration packs, to help you make the right choice. (Plus as a smart solution for the undecided, take a look at our foldable SOURCE bottles).
Why are water bottles better than bladders?
- They come in all kinds of fun colors and designs and double as fashionable accessory while keeping you hydrated. For example, our ECO or ACT bottles.
- You can throw them into any kind of bag, tote, backpack or simply hold them in your hand while out and about – easy!
- Insulated models keep your coffee hot and your drink cool for many hours – to make sure you drink up until the last drop. Like our TERRAIN bottle.
- They’re easy to refill (but so are our SOURCE Widepac bladders)
And what are the disadvantages of water bottles?
- Bottles remain bulky even when empty (except our foldable JET and NOMADIC bottles, see below).
- They add weight to your backpack; and that’s usually not what you want when roaming those trails.
- Models with a small opening are hard to clean (that’s why SOURCE bottles have wide openings).
- You might end up drinking less, because removing the water bottle from your backpack for just one sip is a cumbersome endeavor.
If you are the bottle-type: SOURCE has the perfect water bottle for you, whatever you are planning.Whether you are looking for a durable water bottle, a squeezable sports flask or an insulated thermos – you will find your new favorite source of water.
Why are hydration packs better than bottles?
- A hydration pack provides instant access to water without a need to stop and drink.
The drinking tube and valve makes drinking easy, inviting and guarantees no spilling.
- Water bladders collapse when empty and thereby remove bulk from your backpack.
- The bladders are lightweight.
- The flexible reservoirs fit most backpacks and can be squeezed into almost any space.
- SOURCE GlassLike and GrungeGuard inhibits bacteria build-up.
- With a SOURCE bladder, your water stays fresh for weeks and the bladder is virtually self-cleaning.
- Pimp your bladder with accessories: add a Sawyer Filter for cleaning the water, the UTA for easy refill, a Magnetic Clip to keep the valve in place – the options are endless.
But what are the downsides to water bladders and hydration packs?
- Bladders are not very handy as stand-alone items and need a carrier, usually a backpack. If you want to go slim, our SOURCE Durabag is the perfect container, offering insulation and easy handling.
- You can’t see how much water is left in your bladder while it’s stored in your backpack.
- Water in the tube might heat up. Tip: push the water back into the bladder by giving a sharp blow into the valve – problem solved.
Whether you’ve used a bladder before or not, SOURCE technology and materials make our water bladders the first choice. Athletes and adventurers around the world trust our high quality hydration solutions for hiking, running and mountainbiking thanks to the low maintenance and taste-free properties.
Can’t decide between bottles & water bladders…?
Our first advice: get a bladder and a hydration pack, and take both along – you’ll quickly figure out what you’re using more on the trail. If that’s not an option due to weight or pack space, here’s an idea to get the best of both worlds: Our JET and NOMADIC bottles are lightweight and foldable. They come in different shapes and sizes and are dishwasher safe. And combined with our SOURCE adaptor, they convert into hands-free bottles or full-on drinking systems.
Are you ready to choose between bladders and water bottles?
Trust that a SOURCE bottle or SOURCE bladder – both are a wise choice! And you’ll have a few more considerations to make, because our bladders and bottles come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Feel free to get in touch if we can help out with additional info!
- Find out more about the revolutionary SOURCE Hydration Technologies which make our water bladders true champions.
- Pick your favorite bottle: foldable, insulated, double-walled, single-walled – we got it all!
- Meet our wide variety of Hydration Bladders: Classic Widepac, Low Profile Widepac, D|Vide Widepac and accessories